Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Try these

As I recall the test setup for the test circuit for the SABRE DAC calls for an active power supply filter right at the DAC chip to reduce noise. There was a test board and measurements. I don't think the quoted numbers were total BS. Whether an actual product does as well is problematic.

In any event, my point was that there were other limiting items that lowered resolution more than the DAC chip, since what was being discussed was digital volume controls. The most likely source of noise in a 24 bit digital recording is going to be the microphone preamp or even the random microphone noise caused by air molecules striking the microphone's diaphragm, at least for classical recordings where the microphones are some distance from the instruments. Most microphones have self-noise of 10-20 dB or so and SPLs might peak at 110 dB, giving a maximum S/N ratio at the microphone of 90-100 dB. When played back at similar volumes (very loud) this noise will be below ambient room noise.

Perhaps someone who has the Mytek DSD192 DAC can compare the results of using this products digital volume control vs. its analog volume control.
I was going to order one of these, but was put off by the big queue. This DAC uses the "cheap" 128 dB version of this chip set.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Try these - Tony Lauck 17:49:11 04/10/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.