Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: 1) without a doubt, #1 is digital source jitter

It is the buffering + reclocking that allows the Wofson chips to handle much higher jitter without affecting the output signal jitter. Reclocking without buffering first would not provide the same level of benefit.

It is not 100% immune to jitter, as there is a limit of course. This limit is included in the measurements in their paper. I have not done extensive testing, and none where I have captured measurements. I do think it is reasonable to accept the measurements included in the paper as evidence in support of their design; those measurements were made with controlled S/PDIF signals containing varying amounts of jitter rather than a random sampling of devices.

Using a poor transport with the WM8804 can still sound bad, but the one case where I noticed a difference large enough that it was definitely not just in my head was with a very cheap DVD player over coaxial. I didn't notice it with optical, so I attributed it to a poor coaxial output circuit. I regularly use what are believed to be high jitter optical sources like Macs. With other (higher quality, more expensive) transports connected via coaxial I have not heard a difference between the optical or coaxial connections on my DAC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.