Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Micro and Macro Details???

"Or in the case of Tony's speakers, is the woofer sent to the retirement home."

I believe the A60's belong in the funeral parlor, but for jollies I will try to re-foam these old hags. Fortunately they were replaced by two young tarts and their momma who between them have no trouble handling the bass drum on the RR Firebird. At the end so much air is moving that it is possible to feel the hairs on my leg tickle with each drum stroke. Tom Danley's TrainStart sounds pretty realistic also. But no 32 foot organ fundamentals in this small room. Certainly no space shuttle launch with 10 Hz at 140 dB SPL, either, :-) In addition to the tactile bass is the presence of high frequency "air". I don't know the frequency range, but with "Charlotte Margiano sings Wagner" her physical presence a few feet from me was eerie. Something to do with ultrasonics out the Beryllium tweeters?

In addition to these gross effects, there were major differences with low level material, including hearing bows hitting music stands, some quiet singing by a piano player (other than Glen Gould whose singing wasn't quiet) and a number of defects in recordings that I hadn't noticed before, such as some DC offsets at the start of a few tracks that resulted in a quiet thump. This comes from a system that will play at peak SPLs about 118 dB at my listening position, but at the volume settings that I use there is always more than 10 dB of unused headroom so there is little or no dynamic compression from the drivers.

(From the manual: "We would like to give a word of warning about the high sound pressure levels that can be generated by these loudspeakers...Because of their low levels of distortion, and the minimal fatigue incurred by the user, it is not always obvious to realize the actual sound pressure level while working. Please bear in mind that exposure to excessive levels over a sustained period of time may lead to permanent hearing loss.")

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.