Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

One of the biggest source

of background services that are performing I/O read/writes and interrupts, page faults etc. are to do with networking and internet access. Most here want to "optimize" their audio PC/Mac but insist on using the same machine for shopping for their music online and organizing it.

If one took the bother to use the family PC/Mac to purchase and download music and organize their "music drive" and then use PC/Mac for playback only, 90% of the unwanted processes causing increased latency times will be sitting idle and don't even need to be disabled.

Turning off processes you are not using is silly when there are ones you ARE using that are not essential to music playback.

This is the big catch 22 of computer audio. We want to minimize processes but still use the computer for network, internet, and probably real-time antivirus.

One or the other fellas...

Go to the event viewer. Add the following fields (view-> Select columns)

PF Delta, Mem Delta, I/O reads, I/O writes, I/O other.

Watch your machine and it's various processes in action. Then ask yourself what YOUR priorities are when listening to music. Trying to minimize a machine you're using as a swiss army knife is a waste of time IMHO. And if you don't have latency issues with said swiss army knife, perhaps there is little left to "optimize" anyways.

The word optimize for technical people is do make changes that have known effects on outcome - performance, speed, throughput, etc.

The word optimize for audiophiles is "Do stuff that makes me feel better". Then they will say "1 or 2 changes are SO MICROSCOPIC you can't hear them, but a TOTALLY TWEAKED system will have a thousand changes that all add up to 1.73 micro-thin veils being lifted".

Computer power is one thing. Mind power is another.

We need to master computer audio philsophy before we master computer audio tweakery. We're doing it all wrong.

Cheers,
Presto

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.