Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Actually

I don't believe you've got it quite right. The problem is that the software runs on a given piece of hardware and this hardware does not come with a sufficiently accurate specification, i.e. the hardware is not sufficiently defined.

There is no "best" software possible for all hardware, because one player may work better with one set of hardware and a different player with different hardware. (Here the difference in "hardware" might just be a different cable connecting a given computer and DAC.)

This is why I have said before and will say again that the problem is not in the computer or in the software, it's in the DAC. This is the only place where the problem can be solved in general. One can cobble together various combinations of (off the shelf or modified) computer systems, cables and DACs and run various "player of the month" software and get different sounds, but one will never achieve what is possible except by solving the problem at the DAC end. This is a hardware problem, and it concerns the correct operation of the mixed signal and analog circuitry in the DAC, together with protecting the operation of this critical circuitry by providing sufficient electrical isolation from the purely digital portions of the DAC as well as the overall electrical environment in which the DAC is operating.

It is the stubborn rejection of this simple truth by audiophiles that prevents them from forcing the manufacturers of DACs to do their homework and build ones that work properly.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.