Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Please explain why my reason is "inapplicable"

Tony stated "reason is inapplicable". Maybe not your reason.

Either way, if the file is converted back and it is equivalent to the .wav file than it should be the same when played - as long as the processing of the flac to wav is not occurring at the same time as the playback. If the conversion occurs at the same time then we have timing, power consumption, and noise considerations that will possibly affect the sound.
This is one reason to just have the full file in uncompressed form in memory to avoid the - read from disk, decompression, and playback at the same time. These actions all have impacts on interrupts and timings in the computer (discounting power supply noise and draw). The ear may be able to perceive them. Bottom line is if the data is identical then it is something outside of the data causing a problem and does not prove one format worse than the other.
Imagine if your compressed zip files couldn't be uncompressed without modifying your name and address :)
PeterZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.