Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How many sources use USB out besides computers?

Hi,

> USB is cheap enough. If it is truly superior to spdif et.al when
> will industry start using USB-out on CDP etc.

Old style CD-Players are mostly history. Pure CD-Mech's are next to extinct (most CD-Drives nowadays are actually DVD Drives).

Todays CD-Player is called iPod or ipad. And they are fitted with USB Digital Outs (on a non-standard connector and with the need for key chip, so apple can make money, but it's USB - early iPod's had Firewire BTW, later ones dropped it).

> We should be seeing digital Receivers, EQ's, CDP, and frankly every
> component that can interface with a Dac should have USB out...that
> is if it us superior.

USB PC Audio well implemented using generic USB Chips has less jitter than SPDIF well implemented using generic SPDIF Chips.

I do not see USB displacing SPDIF for consumer digital connections or AES/EBU, simply because of the installed base and because generic SPDIF is "good enough" for most users (they do not care about quality).

If you go further you can make the "transport layer" (that is USB, SPDIF, Firewire, I2S, Whatever) irrelevant by removing the jitter from all of them.

So, SPDIF and USB will coexist for a while. Eventually both will be phased out for a new protocol (whatever it may be). Until then Asynchronous USB will be the standard by which SPDIF implementations must be judged and most will be found wanting.

As said, I was involved with designing a sub-system that takes basically I2S in on a hardware level (which may be created by a USB, Firewire, SPDIF, AES/EBU, Toslink or even CD?DVD Mechanism) and regardless of source reliably kills the source jitter. It basically does for ANY source what Async USB does for USB only.

Sooner or later I expect we will see such a system as a SOC (system on a chip) for a few bucks (it is certainly easy enough - we already most of it using logic chips) if there is enough demand for bitperfect low jitter operation (which I doubt)...

Ciao T

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.