Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

You got it! [RE: WAV better than FLAC accoring to Absolute Sound..

You got it!

They are likely noticing effects that are secondary effects of the computer - not the files themselves.

A file encoded with FLAC will take more processing power to reconstruct than WAV. If you were to take several computers with different amounts of processing power, I'd bed you'd notice more jitter induced sound degradation in the less powerful ones.

Having said that, USB is a very poor spec for high quality sound reproduction - and it has been all the work to try to reduce jitter with the USB "asynchronous" modes that has made it into the best performer to date. I cannot help thinking that if all computers weren't fitted with USB's, how important that standard would be to the audiophile world. (My personal favortie is Firewire, even though I don't have any firewire based audio - because the specification allows you to allocate bandwidth to a task, and it cannot be interrupted by anything else - which is why it is used by pro audio pretty often.)

====
"You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you." ~ R A Wilson

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.