Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: WAV better than FLAC accoring to Absolute Sound..

I have tried ripping a few familiar tracks from a cd into both flac and wav files and them played them back to back to see if I could discern any differences. In most cases the wav files sounded a little better. I couldn't tell a big difference but the most noticeable was a slight reduction in fine details, especially in the higher frequencies on the flac files. On two or three tracks, I couldn't tell much of any difference. I did this mainly for my own curiosity as I am just getting started ripping my discs to my hard drive and was trying to figure out which decoder to use. I think I will use wav most of the time, especially for those discs I want to listen to critically. At this point, I am really pleased with the sound quality of the wav files played back from my hard drive (using JRiver MC 17 with wasapi; also using JRiver to rip).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: WAV better than FLAC accoring to Absolute Sound.. - niws 19:27:13 01/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.