Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: TAS was very concerned with stamping quality of LPs

Even if you get a LP from a desired stamper run (which is difficult to do without opening the record to examine the codes between the label and run-out groove), you still have the issue that quality difference between the start of that run and the end of it will be significant. You also have the issue of consistency of the quality of the vinyl blob used for any pressing, whether at the start, in the middle or end of the run.

I like LPs and have heard many fine ones since becoming interested in this hobby almost 50 years ago. However, the more common experience I had was one of mediocrity with periodic episodes of horridness. Since I finished converting to digital the last of my roughly 2000 records a year or so ago, the only vinyl I deal with these days is the odd LP I stumble across that was never issued on CD (Domingo Bethancourt, anyone?).

I miss nothing about the inconsistent quality of the vinyl world but would still contend that most modern-day LP enthusiasts ignore or forgive these defects while obsessing over the supposed microscopic difference between an optical CD file and its rip.

But, that is mainly just human nature. We willingly forgive the deficiencies of things we favor while maintaining a hypercritical stance toward things we don't like.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TAS was very concerned with stamping quality of LPs - mls-stl 09:05:42 01/06/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.