Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Another example of their ignorance about digital audio

I read through this discussion on the TAS/AVGuide forum and agree that an incredible amount of quasi-technical, speculative BS is evident.

Then, the thought hit me that none of these people ever become obsessed over how many times a digital file is transferred or copied in the production of CDs, or the uniformity of media over the life of the stamping process, etc.

Even more so, I don't recall concerns about the incredible inconsistency in the quality of analog storage media. The steady deterioration of pressing quality from the start of a stamper run, variable vinyl purity, what generation of the master tape was used for which pressing (often an issue with LPs "back in the day") and on and on are ignored.

A purchased LP that is many multiple mechanical copies from the original acetate is treated with as some inviolate, perfect object. Meanwhile, a FLAC/WAV conversion that passes a MDSUM check as a perfect copy over the range of a hundred million bits or more is subjected to endless obsessive-compulsive navel-gazing.

This hobby is always an interesting study in human nature.

Edits: 01/05/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.