Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Comparison. . . .

I'm not going to read this entire thread, but I will tell you that I used an L22 for a year before I went to a Nixon DAC. I changed to the old school TubeDAC + with 3XAC, and greatly preferred it over the Lynx.

The USB TubeDAC was a huge improvement, and then the current Nixon USBTD is absolutely ahead of the old one. I am impressed!

Differences you'll hear. . .

The Lynx L22 is more accurate than the old TubeDAC +. It seems to retrieve more data. This is not a huge difference, but you will notice it. The new USB DAC is so much better though, I don't think there would be more detail.

The BIG difference IMO is that the Nixon DAC just sounded a LOT more like real music when I made the switch. The difference here was uncanny. The Nixon DAC was almost scary after listening to the Lynx L22. Things were so much more real, dimensional, and there was a lot more real silence between notes than with the Lynx card. The Nixon DAC transferred every bit of emotion that the Lynx DAC sort of glossed over. I decided long ago that if I couldn't get emotion from a system, I didn't want a system.

These differences are from a 3 year old version of Scott's DAC and power supply. I wouldn't even put a Lynx in my machine now to compare if someone gave me one. The new generation of Nixon's DAC is just so far beyond what we were listening to three years ago.

Anyway, you were asking for real comparisons, so there ya go. Take it for what it's worth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.