In Reply to: Re: Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed posted by Jim F. on December 21, 2006 at 14:27:05:
I think I made it pretty clear that I personally consider the DAC the more important part of the package for my system, and said I wished they'd emphasized it more since that all the glorious sound wouldn't be possible without a good dac, and that I didn't personally use the software. Not sure how much more clear I can make it that with respect to the software, I don't use it myself - I went out of my way to state that one difference of opinion in my post. The reviewer and others on this board like the software - OK - I prefer without.
When reviewers speak of their "hobby" turning from audio to music, dropping magazine subscriptions, stopping the tweak-a-thon, etc - I found it most interesting that the same thing happened to me with the Bobcat as well. That's a level of satisfaction above nitpicking the component, something you don't often see even in a world where virtually all reviews are positive. It spoke volumes to me - I thought I emphasized that duly. That to me was the most important part of the review - don't often hear things like that, especially about digital.
I think one obvious explanation for why I may not - in my system (as I emphasized) need the software is one famous quote I'd heard about the Quad ESL 57's (from Stereophile I think) - that Quad 57's are for people who want their ears caressed, not beaten up - I found the extra caress the software placed softened things up a bit too much for my tastes - it was just fine without the software. But from my long unhappy history of CD ownership, it's clear to me the Daniel Hertz DAC is something special all on it's own - I was never nearly as happy with any other player. Just a theory though.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed - longtimequadowner 21:25:52 12/19/06 (11)
- Re: Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed - The Gas Man 13:04:03 12/24/06 (0)
- Re: Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed - Jim F. 14:27:05 12/21/06 (3)
- Re: Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed - longtimequadowner 15:34:52 12/21/06 (2)
- What formats does it support? - Robert Joe 20:52:58 12/20/06 (5)
- Re: What formats does it support? - Jim F. 14:47:55 12/21/06 (0)
- Re: What formats does it support? - drwkng 22:27:12 12/20/06 (0)
- Re: What formats does it support? - longtimequadowner 21:04:17 12/20/06 (2)
You can not post to an archived thread.