Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

A couple questions about PC's that provide 'Digital Out'

I am looking to replace my laptop that I use as the "driver" for my FLAC hard drive-based audio system. I still have a CD player but it gets very little use at this point. In shopping around, I noticed that several laptop manufacturers actually supply digital audio out (S/PDIF) on several models. The main machines I have seen that do this are from Acer and Hewlett-Packard (Pavillion). So my questions are:

1. Is there any laptop that can provide an "optical audio out"? Are there any other laptops (at or around $1k or less) that provide either S/PDIF or optical audio outs?

2. In theory (a big *IF*, of course), a computer providing S/PDIF out should be better than USB->S/PDIF->DAC, correct? Right now I'm using a HagUSB to convert the sound from my laptop. Does anyone have any direct experience using the H-P Pavillion S/PDIF outputs that can comment on the jitter and/or sound quality?

3. I like Macs as a concept, but I can't go with them because they don't support FLAC (inexcusable as far as I am concerned -- Apple doesn't seem to have learned from their proprietary/closed architecture mistakes from the '80's and '90's). I know there are several ways to get a Mac to play a FLAC file. Has anyone found one that they consider a good solution for a very (very) large song repository?

4. Semi related question: I also have an Airport Express that has a (mini-) optical audio out. I know you can't play FLAC files on an Apple system directly, but can you use a laptop to play FLAC files and stream the output to an Airport Express? I guess the question is this: when a laptop streams audio to an Airport Express, in what format does it do so? If it converts the audio to WAV before streaming (which Airport Express *DOES* support), perhaps that may help to solve considerably my problem.

As an FYI to inform this discussion, I just received a battery-powered Altmann DAC for my system. If I can find a good laptop solution that would allow me to use one of the two Altmann inputs (S/PDIF and Optical) for the laptop and one for the output of the CD player, I think I could be done churning equipment for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide.

-dB (a unit measure of noise)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - A couple questions about PC's that provide 'Digital Out' - dburna 15:12:23 11/06/06 (18)

You can not post to an archived thread.