Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: help with components for music server...

***I have read somewhere that clock of 2MHz and over is causing a lot of EMI noise, and 1.8GH should be sweet spot.***

I assume you meant 2GHz (not MHz) and yes I did read this also. I have an Intel 3.2GHz processor and have experimented with speed reduction. I can't change the multiplier with my BIOS, but I can change the clock refquency (FSB). I reduced it from 200MHz to 166 and also 100 (which changes the CPU speed to 2.6GHz and 1.6) I run foobar with SRC (at 24/96) and 1.6 was too slow to play without stuttering. When reducing the clock to 166MHz I can also change the timings of my memory. The SPD of my memory (DDR400) applies latency timings of 2.5-3-3-8 (when run at 200MHz), but when lowered to 166 I can change the timings to 2-2-2-6. I think this makes a difference in sound quality also.

Not many people believe these things affect sound quality, and I'm not sure yet myself. But I'm trying to keep an open mind and don't mind experimenting.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.