Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: help with components for music server...

Ron,

You have not mentioned what operation system you will be using. If you plan to use Windows 2K or XP, I strongly advise against Epia mobo and Crusoe 1GHz fanless - there is not enough horsepower.

I have built a couple of music-only PCs and here is what I have found.

Windows 2K and XP are resource hogs. On Windows platform the speed of processor DOES count for quality of music reproduction. AMD Athlon64 X2 3800 sounds signifficantly better than AMD Athlon 64 3200.

I have shut down all of Windows unecessary processes and services (more than 40). Even then, when only music player is active. on average first processor is 5-6% active and second around 25%.

I am planning to UNDERclock processor by 25% and thus cut on heat emission. Less heat, less fan noise.

Damping a case, installing additional internal bracing and using a butcher's maple block can cut a lot of noise.

I have seen a teeny weeny HP media desktop in Best Buy for Canadian $600. It is pretty silent and you'll be hard pressed to build it yourself for that money.

If you want to use Epia, there are solutions with DOS and DOS based players or Linux where 1GHz is enough. I have no experience with this and do not know it first hand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.