Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Crossed wires

Hi Paul,

I apologize if my last post may have caused some confusion about Atma-Sphere amplifiers, and the S-30 in particular.

The standard input impedance of all Atma-Sphere amplifiers is 100Kohm single-ended, or 200Kohm balanced. The exception to this is the MA-2/MA-3 which can be switched between 100/200K and 600ohms.

If a customer is using one of our preamps (MP-1, MP-3) with one of our power amps, we suggest that they have us terminate the input of the amp (or the male end of the XLR cable) with a 600ohm resistor. This is to their advantage.

Keep in mind that most of the 'classic' recordings sought by audiophiles were made in an era when fancy hot-shot cables simply did not exist. Yet, as we tweak, upgrade and audition our systems, we continue to extract worlds of detail from these fine yet relatively simple recordings. How can it be that the recordists of yore were able to create such stunning results that it takes the best of our modern systems to reproduce them faithfully? I won't credit it entirely to low-impedance balanced lines (Ampex, Neumann and their ilk get plenty of credit), but this said - these recordings never would have been possible without the technology. It just works..

My main point is that balanced lines are good, but you are not taking full advantage of a balanced line when running it at high impedances. To this end, Atma-Sphere preamps are quite capable of driving a 600ohm load with full bandwidth. Speaking of bandwidth, this post is using more than its share at this point ;-)

Bill

p.s. - Equator ex my chance to flex skills on Ampex!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Crossed wires - Legendre 15:47:16 12/27/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.