Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: 6H13C instead of 6AS7G

As I understand it, the Russians never made a 'true' 6AS7G.. the 6H13C (6N13S in latin script) is a ruggedized, work-alike variant. This is the only tube we have ever shipped with Atma-Sphere equipment; the American 6AS7G/6AS7GA/6080 are not suitable for use in our equipment. No real loss, as the American tubes (at least the 6AS7G) are much less available than the 6H13C.

There were two primary sources of production - Svetlana plant in St. Petersburg, and Reflector plant in Saratov. The OTK stamp is a Russian Army quality marking, basically meaning 'suitable for use'. There is some belief that the higher the OTK stamp number, the higher the quality - but I am unable to confirm this. Initially, the 6H13C branded 'Sovtek' were made at Reflector, but I have seen so much mix-and-match over the years, that the distinction is being lost. We have also seen tubes with American or European branding that were actually just re-marked Russian tubes. Check the shape of the base & glass, it's a dead giveaway.

So, it goes like this:

If it has a =C= logo *anywhere* on the glass, it's a Svetlana tube.
No =C= logo, it's a Reflector tube.

In our experience, the Svetlana is the preferred device.

Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.