OTL Asylum

Futterman Story w/ Ted Hammond

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

My NYAL adventure...
Over a year ago I got my first set of otl-3's, after a few months I lost a transformer in one of the amps and began searching and making posts through this forum, got alot of good advice but it was looking like I would have to try to get the transformer rewound at a very high price. In the meantime I found another set of otl-3's and wasted no time in latching onto them, I was back in the game. A few months later I got a e-mail from a man who thought he might have a transformer but needed me to take pictures of the one I had and send it to him to see if he had one, Lucky for me in a few days he got back with me to let me know he actually had 2 if I was interested, I bought both. The man was Theodore Hammond, chief engineer of NYAL, I was very excited about this to say the least. Over the next few months Ted and I exchanged several e-mails and he shared alot of knowledge about the amps and helped me to do the alignments. After several conversations on the phone with Ted he asked me if I would like to come up to NY and spend time with him to learn and told me of alot of the 6LF6's that he would be willing to sell, along with a set of EL-509 amps that were going to be the new amps that he had designed which were going to be the new version of the H3aa's, due to unforseen circumstances the amps never went into production, I purchased those amps from him along with ther 6Lf6's he had to sell.
While I was there Ted found a set of H3aa's that had not been built and being Futterman Crazy I had to have those as well, over the next week Ted and I assembled them and added alignment controls that would allow me to dial them in just like the OTL-3's, sure was great to be setting next to Ted building those amps,... Priceless!!!
Below are some of the pic's I took while I was there, One of the pics is Julius Futterman's pressure cooker that he used while building his power transformers.
All for now...

Edits: 07/18/12   07/18/12

Follow Ups: