Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Tube dampers etc.

All I can do, Lew, is quote the manufacturer because I have no idea how the darned things work, fuses either.

But put 'em in, the system sounds "cleaner;" pull 'em off (easy to do, just slide them out of the banana plug openings) and you wish you hadn't. My golden-eared buddy ("fastest ears in the West") heard the same thing. I got them on a try-before-buy basis and they were fairly cheap so I tried them and liked them.

The fuse thing was more interesting. First place I tried them was in my DSA Phono II. Bingo! An immediate improvement. I tried them in my Atmas and I did not like the effect so I went back to stock. I tried them in my DSA Pre (-amp) and liked them again. So with AM fuses in phono and pre, I tried them again in my Atmas. This time I liked them. Go figure.

Jeffrey, I have the HAL dampers on ALL of my input tubes already. The question is whether I should put them on the output tubes as well. Your pictures do not seem to show dampers on any of the output tubes.

MrDerrick, your idea about damping only half of the output tubes is intriguing, if only because the cost is half as well. My amps are on Sound Anchor stands and Herbie's Tenderfeet. I had not thought about other feet, but maybe I should.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.