Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Another alternative

I think you're right, the biggest benefit is for small signal devices and mechanical transducers.

My turntable is sitting on a wall-mounted shelf. Recently I hung my phono stage (Aesthetix Rhea) underneath the shelf using rubber tarp straps (ghetto solution). No other changes -- prior to that the Rhea was on a short solid cherry table underneath. I was unprepared for how much better my LP's sound! Mostly in the form of better transient response such as starting/stopping of notes, especially cymbals and snare drums. Everything sounds a bit more relaxed.

I've also had cases where applying flexible silicone putty beneath large coupling caps has improved preamps or amps I've been building. Tricky stuff, this vibration business! Herbie's (or other) silicone tube rings have also made perceptible improvements in some of my small-signal devices. Most of the time I use these things as a rule of thumb and never test to see whether they really make a difference.

My kit-based Atma-Sphere M60's have myrtle blocks to a maple platform and Herbie's dots? blobs? to the floor. I did no critical listening when adding these, but my impression was an improvement in overall presentation, sound-stage if you like. Sonic holography is lost on me, since I only have good hearing in one ear, the other stops at 5,000 Hz.

So this stuff seems to matter, but it also seems very idiosyncratic. I have a rich friend with vibraplanes and he swears by them, and at them -- he had to add weight to the platform to get it to work properly. His system sounds great, but hard to say how much incremental benefit he gets from his tweaks.

Very much a black art and hit-or-miss results. Not sure how much generalizeable learning we can find here.

"Knowing what you don't know is, in a sense, omniscience"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Another alternative - CometCKO 07:15:05 05/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.