Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Touche', sort of...

I was taking the specific example of a typical circlotron or totem-pole OTL with 200mA quisecent bias, as one might have in a 20 or 30 W amplifier (probably like the Atmasphere S-30). Then, I think, it remains in class A only up to the 640 mW or so that I mentioned.

One thing that is not taken into account is the impact of the load impedance. As with any amplifier, the lower the load impedance, the less class A operation can be had. In the case of the M-60 (with 1 amp of idle current) it remains (barely) in class A2 operation up to full output into an eight ohm non-inductive load (insofar as a 'scope on the cathode resistors is able to show anyway; cutoff does not occur until the amp is into clipping). But change the load to 4 ohms and the amp is class AB2.

The S-30 does considerably more than just 640mW of class A power (its idle current is around 400mA). But it is best running into 16 ohms rather than 8, and this should probably be taken into account.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.