Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Touche', sort of...

After further reading on their website, I did note that at least some of their SE OTLs are considerably more powerful than is typical of the breed. I'd be interested to hear a pair. As to the Class A operating range of a circlotron, I guess it's all about where you can bias the output tubes in terms of current. I use a highly modified Atma amplifier, once marketed as an "MA240". It used six 6C33Cs per monoblock. You can bias those at 300mA per tube, all day long, so, more Class A power than you calculate I think. I am now using four 7241s per monoblock for about the same current. But the larger Atma-sphere amplifiers, like MA2 and MA3, can handle more bias current for more Class A operation.

My real point was that I object to their exaggerated put down of conventional OTLs. Parenthetically, because this is a subjective opinion, the Futterman amplifiers, even though they do use copious amounts of NFB as compared to a typical transformer-coupled tube amplifier, still manage to sound wonderful, better than one would expect given that fact.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.