Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Thanks for the heads-up

I was interested to read the following as regards their SE OTL:
"All tube OTL amplifiers use SEPP, cyclotron or Mr. Futterman’s variations. All these are push-pull amplification stages. They can claim single ended, but they are push pull topologies. Feedback is mandatory in this designs to cancel out the artifacts generated by the problems of not true complimentary driving of the signal, and of course cross-over distortion. Some clever variations have been presented on the market during recent years, but they are nevertheless push pull topologies with many dbs of negative feedback, some of them use up to 60db of degenerative feedback. Of course, these amplifiers are not Class A devices."

Contrary to what is written:
(1) Feedback is not "mandatory" in a circlotron
(2) Crossover distortion due to phase splitting is not an issue if the amplifier topology is fully balanced from front to back.
(3) A fully balanced circlotron amplifier can operate in Class A for at least the first several Watts of output power, at least as much Class A power as they get from their SE OTL.

I'm just sayin'.
Rather sick of hype.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.