Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: 6SN-7's

Hi Chuck, Happy New Year to you, too. Probably the best person to consult on which tube does what would be Ralph, since there are so many iterations of the MA1. Two of the tubes (and I do not know which two on your amplifier) comprise a dual-differential cascode input stage. Those would be the two most important tubes in terms of an effect on sonics. One of the other three is probably serving as a Constant Current Source for the dual-differential cascode. And the remaining two tubes are either both drivers for the array of output tubes, or only one is the driver tube and the other serves as a CCS for it.

You could in fact identify the two tubes that form the input stage (the dual-diff cascode) by flipping your amplifier over and removing the bottom plate. Then look to see which tube receives the wires from the XLR input jack. That one will be the "bottom" tube in the cascode. The upper tube in the cascode should be right next door with many wires going between it and the lower tube of the cascode. But better for Ralph to just tell you in terms of "V1, V2, etc."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 6SN-7's - Lew 20:30:21 12/28/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.