Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

If you have only one power supply

Its pretty hard to keep that one supply from being part of the load of each half of the circuit. That's why having 4 supplies in the output of the MP-1 allows it to drive stereo headphones- the power supplies don't represent a shunt to the circuit.

If you employ a CCS, it has to go in the tube bank it serves- IOW you would need two CCS circuits, one for each half. There is very little current through the two reference resistors (which in most of our amps are a pair of 600 ohm resistors) that reference the circuit to ground. A CCS would have no effect in that part of the circuit, as grid current is all the flows through them. They complete the circuit that allows a conventional driver to drive the power tubes.

The latter is the thing (innovation??) that we brought to the table when we created our OTLs. Prior to this, the Circlotron employed an integrated driver circuit that ran off of the Circlotron power supplies. Its a simple thing, but its what made the circuit practical in a number of ways.

Putting a CCS in the circuit might be a bit of a trick; due to the desired impedances I think a 2-stage solid state CCS is what is needed. It would have to handle the power of the output section without failure should a tube fail.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.