Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

CCS in a circlotron???

Someone pointed out to me that in many respects a circlotron stage "looks" like a cathode follower. This started me thinking about the utility of installing a CCS in a circlotron, specifically between the negative nodes of each of the two power supplies and the resistor that "floats" the supplies. (Perhaps if a CCS were installed, then one would not need that resistor; that's a separate question.) I admit I am shaky in my understanding of exactly how a circlotron works or better to say "why" it works. Because of the high currents in a circlotron amplifier, perhaps the use of a CCS would be more practical in the context of a preamplifier output stage, like that of an MP1 or MP3.

I searched Jon Broskie's site to find any mention of this idea, since he has written extensively about circlotrons. I find that he did propose a 5687-based circlotron stage that uses CCSs where I imagine using them, but with only one PS serving the whole stage. Thus the CCS in that case contributes separation between the two halves of the circuit, even with only one voltage source (PS). Any comments appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - CCS in a circlotron??? - Lew 13:20:54 12/17/14 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.