Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Hold it!!!

I have been misunderstood by both of you.
Throwback, I did not say I can hear a difference between a hardware store fuse holder and an Acme fuse holder (the only "audiophile" fuse holder I know of). I did say that the idea of spending $50 for a fuse seems ridiculous if one is not also going to upgrade the fuse holder. If one did that, there would still remain the question of whether the fuse/fuse holder ensemble swap makes for an audible upgrade. I have done this experiment: My Atma-sphere amplifiers were built for 6C33C tubes, which, unlike the 6AS7, are not internally fused. Therefore, there is an outboard fuse-holder/fuse for each output tube, built-in. Unlike the typical fuse on the AC side, these fuses are much more likely to affect sonics, since they are in the signal path. In my amps, I replaced each of these fuse-holder/fuses with Acme silver-plated versions of both. The amps sound divine. (You've heard them, I think.) Am I certain that the Acme products contribute to their wonderfulness? No. I would have to go back and replace the Acme stuff with conventional products, in order to have any basis for any claim, which is very tedious and not on my radar screen.

Roio, I was playing devil's advocate and trying to imagine why a fuse might make an audible difference; one possibility that came to mind is the business of resistance of the fuse. I am not sure I want to say I have any real idea why a fuse (on the AC side between the wall and the power transformer) would ever make an audible difference to sound quality. Just supposing.

Edits: 10/02/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.