Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Is Ralph Lauren making fuses now?

Lew: “It is conceivable that the tiny resistance across a fuse wire can limit current flow to the component which might in some way constrict or limit the component's ability to convey dynamics. Thus, "low resistance" fuses might "sound" a bit better than a fuse of the same rating that exhibits "higher resistance", but by that same token, the low R fuse might not function very well as a fuse. Also, that current limiting explanation might apply to certain types of amplifier”.

In order to assess if effects of fuse would be really "conceivable” for audiophiles, the capability of a small resistance in eventually producing audible changes should be proven.
For example, we can consider the output stage of an OTL. The anodes of the power tubes should be feed by resistors of increased values, step by step, up to eventually beginning earing some change in sound quality.
If we increased the resistor value up to even much more than three times (say 3 ohms) than that of fuse, and operated up to 5A of current on a 10 ohm loudspeaker (i.e., five times the idle current, which would correspond to a peak power of about 250W!), the output tubes would however conserve the dynamic range (due to the little drop of 15V over 120 V of the power supply).
Despite of this guess of engineer, to perform such audio tests would however make sense for audiophile.
I personally don't expect any difference but I would however make such a test (and let you know) after completing similar search on issues that I consider of higher priority.

Similar (often simple) tests would more properly accompany claims of "demonstrations", and would enable separating the non-neutral from neutral effects of power audio components.
This method would help addressing discussions mainly on what really matters for audiophiles.

Roberto

Edits: 10/02/14 10/02/14 10/02/14 10/02/14 10/02/14 10/02/14 10/02/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.