Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: I need a quick 'electrical' education

"1)Please explain to me in electrical terms what the difference would be if we put the fuse on the positive (black wire) coming into the gear? as opposed to the negative (white) wire."

I would not consider it good practice to put the fuse on the neutral side, as in your original supposition. If there were a fault condition that blew the fuse, you would now have just the mains live wire and the ground wire connected into the equipment. Depending on the nature of the fault that had caused the fuse to blow, one could now imagine that the entire chassis might be live. (For example, if the fault was that (unfused) live wire had shorted to the chassis, and if that had then caused the connection to the ground return wire to burn out.) It is therefore much safer to put the fuse on the live side, so that if it blows there is no longer any live connection into the equipment.

Chris

(By the way, your choice of the labels "positive" and "negative" for the live and the neutral wires is a little unfortunate: Almost anything else would have been better, and less liable to cause confusion! But in fact "live" and "neutral" usually serve reasonably well for the purpose!)

Edits: 09/30/14 09/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I need a quick 'electrical' education - cpotl 07:06:05 09/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.