Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Is Ralph Lauren making fuses now?

We were talking about fuses. I definitely do hear differences among cables, but I think that the spoken and written words that are put forth to describe those subtle differences convey an exaggerated impression of how large the differences really are. Anyway, there are in fact "scientifically" valid explanations for the observation that one cable might sound different from another. In the case of a fuse, assuming said fuse is really capable of doing the job of a fuse, I am not aware of the science that backs that up. It is conceivable that the tiny resistance across a fuse wire can limit current flow to the component which might in some way constrict or limit the component's ability to convey dynamics. Thus, "low resistance" fuses might "sound" a bit better than a fuse of the same rating that exhibits "higher resistance", but by that same token, the low R fuse might not function very well as a fuse. Also, that current limiting explanation might apply to certain types of amplifier. It probably cannot apply to CD players, preamplifiers, etc, which after all don't vary much in current demand while reproducing music. So, I don't get the big deal about fuses. I do get the idea that it might be worthwhile to improve the quality of fuse holders, if one does want to spend money on a boutique fuse. The other thing is: listener bias is a tremendous factor in listener opinion. No one can be free of such biases. Nice that you did a blinded test of cables. Try it with fuses.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.