Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Distortion measurements Solid core vs Multi strand

I agree more with cpotl on this issue, but I do commend Cousin Billy for his attempt to understand why he hears what he (and I) hear. That said, the posted data could equally as well be interpreted as "proof" of a slight superiority of stranded wire vs solid core wire, as the converse. Note that at certain frequencies or groups of frequencies, distortion is very slightly (probably inaudibly) lower for the stranded wire, but to say so would make it seem as though I endorse the methodology; I do not.

In my earliest days of moving over to solid core wire, I was told by Pierre Sprey of Maple Shade not only to use solid core but also to choose the thinnest possible gauge of solid core. My own experiments suggested that he was "right" (or at least that my ears and brain work the same as his). In fact, and paradoxically perhaps, I found that extreme low bass response seems to improve with very thin solid core wire vs thicker solid core wires of the same material. I tell myself that this has something to do with skin effect, but I have read too many articles positing that the skin effect is essentially irrelevant at audio frequencies.

Edits: 09/19/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Distortion measurements Solid core vs Multi strand - Lew 10:31:29 09/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.