Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

UltraViolet preamp

Ralph Karsten wrote elsewhere:

For many years we have been refining a 4- tube circuit (2 tubes if line stage only). We have had many long debates about whether we should market it, as its a departure from our normal stuff; its single-ended (which is the big deal) and is more conventional circuitry. It uses a pair of 6SN7s for the line section and a pair of 12AT7s for the phono section.

However its also a very nice sounding unit, and we've seen it easily take on preamps that cost several times more with no worries. We've had a prototype that we have been playing here at Atma-Sphere for the last 3 years; we know this preamp very well and it really does do the job!

It has a welded chassis, 4 inputs and isn't very big. So far the plan is that they are entirely hand-wired and that has been working quite well. It has vintage styling, but not like our other products. Actually it is the first of a new lineup of amps and preamps.

With the Stepup transformers it works with low output moving coil cartridges and will retail for $2800.00. Without the SUTs, it works with high output cartridges and is $2400.00. Finally, it is available as a line stage for $1900.00. We expect to ship the first units in August.

The unit pictured is on loan from Atma-Sphere and has the Jensen SUTs (white, on the left). It's a little fella that works remarkably well with the M-60s here.

A very similar system should be on demo at RMAF in the AudioKinesis room (room 1100, if I recall correctly).
Brian Walsh

Edits: 08/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.