Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Any interest in a 32 ohm speaker?

"The S-30 surely likes a 16 ohm load."

Yes it does!

I've done four Rocky Mountain shows with the S-30 driving 16-ohm speakers, and imo three of those were my top three best-sounding rooms (the other time I had an ear infection and didn't know it, so the top end of my speakers was mis-calibrated - otherwise my 16-ohm/S-30 rooms would have swept my top four spots).

Last year we had a 16-ohm system in the room that had some serious output capability. On a pipe organ disc that someone brought, the low-end pressurization was enough to modulate voices. Another time we briefly cranked the volume on a Kodo drum disc, and the exhibitor two rooms down thought his subwoofer amp had gone into oscillation. Nope, just forty-five real watts!

And the S-30 offers a free lunch to the speaker designer... roughly 1/3 octave greater low-end extension than the same speaker driven by a solid state amp, assuming we take advantage of the S-30's lower damping factor.

I make a habit of designing with the S-30 in mind, as I think it's a real giant killer of a high-end amplifier. It will be in my room at RMAF again this October, surprise surprise.

Duke

Me being a dealer makes you leery?? It gets worse... I'm a manufacturer too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Any interest in a 32 ohm speaker? - Duke 20:12:28 05/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.