Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

"Will" of SLOG

I received an email from one of his friends in Perth, Australia, that the person known as William or Will on SLOG (Sound Lab Owners Group) passed away suddenly, over this weekend. Will was a very significant person on SLOG, as it was he who first had the guts to tear out the crossover network from his Sound Lab speakers and to substitute the then OEM toroidal treble transformer with a full-range EI type transformer made by a company in Perth. He was running the new EI transformer, which came to be known (by me) as the "AU90" (because it had a step-up ratio of 1:90 and is made in Australia) in parallel with the standard Sound Lab bass transformer, with no reactive components in the signal path. Will contacted me privately about his experiments, because he remembered my name from the old SLOG, where I was an active participant. At the time he did so, I was really willing to listen to any idea that would improve the sound of my speakers; I sensed a low midrange suck-out that was in the same frequency range as the known impedance dip caused by the SL crossover network. I took a chance and ordered a pair of AU90 transformers from Australia, threw away my old toroids and the RC network that went with them, and needless to say, I have never looked back. Eventually, Roger West responded to our posts on SLOG by developing his own new toroidal transformer that has a much lower low frequency cut-off compared to his old toroid, so to ameliorate the impedance dip, and now that new one is standard on all SL speakers, to the satisfaction of everyone I know about, including Roger West. Thus in a small way, Will changed the world. RIP.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - "Will" of SLOG - Lew 13:47:56 05/05/14 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.