Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: upgrades to output supplies

Lew

I`m sure that Mr.J. Futterman was know very well specific reasons why hi choose just Photo Flash capacitors type for output power coupling cap in his OTL Amps ! , but in the same time I must say that even Photo Flash caps have some finite electric performance ( ESR,ESL ...) so it is not big surprise for me that bypassing that PF cap with relative smaller value of film cap overall Amp sonic performance was increased even more , as is expected mostly in treble range .
Yes PF caps are very rare today as offer in electronics free market places , personally I have impression that they are mass produced even today , but mostly sold on different industries , and used for power laser PSU`s , rail guns and who knows where else , but not to much for photo flash guns any more .
Your tactic of paralleling many smaller Panasonic caps instead of one big cap is very good ! , since that method lower overall filter cap ESR , ESL ... , I would say in that way of connection it `speed up` stored DC E energy delivering on to OTL Circlotron OPS circuit .

BTW , I was use Siemens 3100uF/360VDC PF caps in some of my earlier OTL Circlotron Amps with great success , i have eight more left for my new pair of Amps , they are pretty old but in perfect electric condition , they will be connected as last C member in CRC based PSU filter , first one C will be standard Mallory 2000uF/200VDC/85C. caps ,
here is the picture of this Siemens PF caps together with one 6c33c tube secured in the associated socket , only for better physical dimension comparison .

Edits: 04/19/14 04/21/14 04/22/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.