Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: upgrades to output supplies

Banat, It's very interesting that you mention "photoflash" capacitors. I was privileged to know Julius Futterman toward the end of his life, and he had discovered the benefits of such capacitors for use as coupling caps in his circuit. I could easily hear the improvement that they wrought in a Futterman amplifier. But the Futtermans were further improved by bypassing the output capacitors with film caps. However, I do take your point that the film bypass capacitors are only helping the treble, usually. And conversely, the transient energy demands are less at high frequencies (at least I think so), so the bypass caps can only go so far.

I had assumed that Photoflash caps of those days were now supplanted by the latest best electrolytics from Nichicon, Panasonic, etc. (In my mind, maybe because there is no demand for large size flash guns as light sources in modern photography.) One no longer sees that term in print on websites like Mouser and Digikey, in the US, which is where I usually buy my electrolytics. As I have mentioned here before, I perceived a benefit by paralleling bunches of smaller value Panasonic TS-ED caps as a substitute for single high value capacitors. The decision after that is whether to bypass and what value to use as bypass. Higher value film caps that fit into the chassis will tend to be metallized film, rather than true film and foil, so that's another trade-off. (Large metallized film caps don't necessarily sound better to me than very good electrolytics.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.