Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: upgrades to output supplies

Hi Lew !

My opinion is that since the Circlotron tube output power stage (OPS) is naturally very fast , with slew rate up to 600V/uS than that OPS deserve very fast power supply unit to , which can on demand deliver very fast stored electric energy in to the OPS circuit for best Amp performance ,
modern Photo Flash electrolytic capacitors with their characteristic is almost ideal for that place , but they have few drawbacks to , one is only 60C max. for allowed working temperature , which can be big problem in pretty hot environment of A class running OTL tube Amp , and second one is the relative high price per cap. unit .
And yes , there is always one optimum capacitance value for OPS power supply unit , where any further increase of capacitance value above that optimum usually don`t bring any positive electric or sonic improvements .
About paralleling or bypassing of main power supply electrolytic caps with relative small value of film caps my explanation is that method only partially speed up overall power supply unit energy delivering in to the OPS circuit , since high quality film caps are way faster than any standard big uF value electrolytic cap , practically improvement can be heard only in to the top of sonic octaves .

Best Regards !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.