Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Custom caps

-Are always expensive. That's actually a great price especially given the small quantity.

FWIW if there is noise in the rectifier it will indeed be seen by both sides of the cap.

What the 4-lead parts do is bypass the internal inductance of the cap. In this way you could tie the 2 positive connections together as one, and the same for the minus side and get the benefit of the part. That of course makes one wonder why the part could not simply be made that way and just bring the resulting connection out as two terminals rather than four.

But there is another way to do this. The amp is wired in such a way as to minimize the effects of the internal wiring in the output stage- that is why there are some rather large bundles on the speaker terminals. But the speaker terminals are connected to the minus of the filter caps.

So what you could do is bypass the wiring by installing an additional pair of caps which have the negative side connected directly to the speaker terminal, then what to do with the positive side... you could connect those back to the correct connections on the filter caps...

We've done this before of course. Not a lot of effect FWIW. I don't see how the 4-lead part would help you as it does not allow you to bypass the wiring in the amp as I just described. In thinking about it I don't see the benefit of the extra leads. If you treated them as an extra terminal the current on say the positive lead would have to move through the foil, which may or may not be a good thing. If it were me doing something like that I would make two wiring harnesses to deal with the two sets of leads.

You can see that there is a diminishing return here...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.