Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Even worse, $400.00 each

Hello unclestu

I am learning a lot with this thread.

The Mundorf website gives a better description. Go to HiFi/Studio on their website, click on Power Capacitors, click on (application). There is a great picture.

This is how I interpret the picture;

A 4-pole capacitor is NOT 2 capacitors in one can. There are however 2 foils in one can.

Think of it this way;
The DC from the full wave bridge rectifier charges the capacitor. This charge is stored in the electrolyte. There is no physical contact between this first 'charging' foil, and the 2nd foil. Except of course by way of the electrolyte. If the full wave bridge rectifier has any type of noise on it, or coming from it, the 2nd foil does not see it, or see's much less of it. I would think this allows the capacitor more 'smoothing' ability for the DC ripple.

The second foil now has the input coming from the 6AS7's (+ve screw), and outputting to the speaker binding posts via the (-ve screw).

Here is the only problem I forsee;
As Lew has stated, the FWBR needs to somehow be grounded somewhere. The Mundorf 4 poles are NOT grounded together internally. HMMMMMM.

We know the A-S MA-1's use a floating ground. This will not pose a problem on the 4-poles output, because the 6AS7's are grounded at the tube bases (anode?/cathode?).

IF the FWBR needs to be grounded in order to supply DC to the storage cap, than I will need advice from you fine folks as to 'where' to connect it, and how.

The biggest problem of all?

A 200V (or 250V in Mundorf's HP+ case) 22,000uF storage cap is not a common size. This would be a special order type scenario. There is a minimum order of 18pcs, and they are around $400.00 each. OPPPPPPS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.