Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: NYAL OTL3

For a dozen years I was using Quad ESL-988. Unfortunately, they did not like the weather and/or altitude (very dry at ~5,000ft) and kept breaking while I never had an ounce of trouble with my NYAL OTL3 amps (From all I heard....wasn't it supposed to be the other way around??). Breaking how? Not sure, never heard anything bad when listening to the Quads, but sometimes I would turn my stereo on and a speaker was toasted. The power here is really bad (noisy and variable), so tried conditioners, A/C regenerators, et al, but the Quads still kept breaking. So not sure.

Since I'm in NM and the authorized Quad repair shop is in SC, while I was getting ready to send the Quads back for repair the 3rd or 4th time I decided to switch. Since there was a near magical match between the OTL/Quads I decided to keep the OTL3's and look for new electrostatics.

I was concerned my 90W OTL3 would not have the power to drive Sound Labs, but after a number of chats with the very helpful Dr West I bought a pair of M-2PX a few years ago. The OTL3 has no trouble running the M-2PX, with the latest panel and transformer, at full tilt (though I almost never listen to it that loud). I am amazed how well they work and now have a truly full range OTL/electrostatic system that sounds (shock/amaze!) even better than the OTL/Quad match. Highly recommended!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.