Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: NYAL OTL3

If you have a matched set of Ram Tubes put them in and try again, make sure to back the upper and lowers to the minimum as described in the alignment procedure. Watch the current to make sure it does not run away, if the tubes don't begin to cherry then the issue was with the tubes you removed. If it has the same problem with the Ram tubes then start 1 by 1 replacing all the Zener diodes.

Question: are you placing a speaker or resistor on the output, and are you using a shorting plug on the input?
I always do that when doing the alignment,this is confirmed thru Ted Hammond. I always use an 8 ohm speaker so if something isn't right I can tell by a pop or hum when the amp is warming up, make sure the shorting plug is in place or you will hear a hum. also are you removing the 6fs5 and the 6ej7 as is also described in the procedure? These tubes are not put into the circuit until you have the uppers and lowers balanced, screens and grids! and the desired idle current is right. 275 to 300ma is plenty, then you put those tubes in prior to setting the bias voltage and final balance adjustment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.