Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: SUCCESS. Then a step backwards

Jumping to conclusions is a common habit of audiophiles who tweak.
Listen for a week or two, THEN make some sort of judgement. If you like the effect of a bypass on the 27,000uF capacitors it is NOT because you have increased the net capacitance. Your bypass cap, even 150uF, is invisible against 27,000uF. (There is no difference between 27,000 and 27,150.) However, 150uF or 30uF or whatever you finally decide to use WILL effect sound quality of the treble and down into the midrange, depending on the value you end up with. And it will have a good effect overall on the quality of the capacitance. Personally, I would say that replacing those huge single electrolytics with a parallel gaggle of the 4700uF/200V Panasonics I recommended (or any similar modern low ESR electrolytics) will be more profound. Probably this is a rare occasion when my personal experience is different from Ralph's; I would say that you don't absolutely "need" 27,000uF per phase in order to realize excellent bass response, unless your speakers have a low impedance (4 ohms or less) in the bass region. (In fairness, my ESLs have a very high impedance at low frequencies, which might have something to do with why my experience differs from Ralph's recommendation. He has to please a wide variety of speaker systems; I don't.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.