Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

SUCCESS. Then a step backwards

I just installed the BlackGate VK 150uF caps as shunts on the LV (low voltage) 27,000uF caps. These replaced my previous 1.2uF Clarity caps.

Pros; There was an increased sense of dynamic range. Guitar picks jumped from the speakers. There where a lot of things that where an improvement. I will say the placement in 'space' became even more precise. This might imply I like the BG across the big caps.

But.....

I like the performers in the room with me. This is my ultimate goal. I want my brain to believe I am at a concert. The BlackGates failed in this position. It's almost as if I went from a very musical analogue system to a great digital system. For my listening preferences the BG's cannot be in the signal path.

I have only one pair of Mundorf M-CAP MKP 150uf film caps in house. I installed them in only one amp. After firing everything back up, a lot of the magic reappeared.

My present observation; increasing the shunt across the LV is a worthwhile tweak, make sure it is a 'musical' cap. Polarized caps would not be my first choice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.