Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

SUCCESS. Thank you everyone

Lew and Michael, thank you for your advice.
Ralph, what can I say. You brought everything together.

We now know the 200uF pairs are a minimum. As Ralph said, there are timing constraints.

Lew, I wasn't comfortable adding only one capacitor per phase. The HV caps go off in three directions. I didn't want to open any worm cans. So I installed one 150uF BlackGate per pair. This raised the total per amp from 1,200uF to 2,100uF.

I did one amp first. Plugged everything back in. Let it warm up, and listened. The music sounded a bit smoother. But nothing dramatic. So I went up to the first speaker, put my ear against the mid driver, and liked how clear it was. I went over to the non-updated speaker/amp, and noticed a type of distortion.

The second amp has now been modified, and there is no turning back. Stupendous.

Problem?; now I have to get a riser/skirt manufactured since the BlackGates protrude out the bottom of the amps. OPPS

Final question?; I have a few BlackGates left over. As per your recommendations, the LV 27,000uF caps need a minimum of 1% shunt caps to make a difference. I don't have any of those, so I would like to try the 150uF.

I WILL ASSUME the arrows on the BG's need to point to the -ve screw down's of the main caps.

Bored Billy is not so bored any more.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.