Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Mike, that output stage supply operates at only 125VDC

You should only be concerned about the voltage rating of those Mundorf caps as it relates to the fact they would blow up if you used them to replace the 27,000uF capacitors, because you need caps rated for at least 150V, 200V is safer, for this application. As we were saying, the supply produces 125VDC. At turn on, that voltage can transiently exceed 125V, so you need some head room above that. Hence, no less than 150V. Caps rated at 80V or 100V are not qualified.

Go to Mouser Electronics website and see what are the largest values available for Panasonic TS series caps rated at 200V. As noted, I use the 2200uF value, seven of them per phase, but perhaps they make them in larger values so that you would not need to fit so many of them. (I actually wrote previously that they were "2000uF"value; I misspoke.) I also don't think you absolutely must have 27,000uF per phase worth of capacitance there. As noted, I am using half that total amount per phase (seven times 2200uF), and the bass response is without fault in terms of low end extension and power.

Edits: 03/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.