Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Mike, that output stage supply operates at only 125VDC

And as you can read below, I advised him to consider replacing the monster caps with a bunch of lower value higher quality ones, e.g., Panasonic TS-ED. Ralph once recommended to me the 250uF/200V Solens, for bypass duty. I used them for a while, but when I went to multiple Panasonics (14 X 2000uF/200V) for the main filtering, there was no longer room for the Solens, even though my chassis' are much larger than Billy's chassis'. Thus I doubt that those very large 600V film caps will fit his amplifier, although something of much lower voltage rating and therefore smaller size might work.

Ralph told me that he began to "hear" a beneficial effect of the film bypass, only when he got up around the 250uF value of the Solens, in keeping with what you write. But modern Panasonic TS series caps and analogous Nichicons that can tolerate the low voltages of the output supply are so good these days that I question the need for super huge (value or size) film bypass caps. I have settled for lower values (and smaller size) for bypass, and the sound is better than it ever was before the Panasonic mod.

The problem here is that I fear these mods exceed Cousin Billy's skill set. I don't want to be the one to give him advice that would lead him to hurt himself or damage his valuable amplifier. (As to the latter, I've been there, done that.)

Edits: 03/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.