Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: I'm Bored, part ll. MA-1 pictures

Billy.
Without being condescending,you are going about these upgrades all wrong.You have ample room in there do much better capacitance upgrades than you are doing.
First,the 1.5uf clarity across the huge 27000uf capacitors is doing very little other than making the cap see a slightly lower ESR.The problem is,you really need about 1% of the value of the cap you are shunting to be a truly effective shunt and some even say 10%.
Secondly,the computer grade high capacitance electrolytics are extremely slow and have dielectric absorption that is out of sight and out of mind.What that does is,filter out higher frequencies being those caps feed the output tubes and the signal is riding on that rail.
The very least I would do is increase the shunt capacitance across the 27000uf caps to 100uf poly..CDE and Unlytic make them and I use them a lot..They have a 30uf@600v that is the size of a D cell battery and then they make a 100uf@600v that is the size of a small 6 oz Dixie cup.You can even put them in place of the of the 100@350v which would be about 50@700v,being they are in series.You can you a 30uf there and be fine..It's not the amount of capacitance as much as it is the quality of capacitance.I would shunt the 27000ud with a pair of these 100uf polys and I guarantee a huge difference..You can buy them right on ebay cheap because they are govt surplus.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.