Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Klyne, Beveridge system

I'm a former Beveridge model 3 owner and now I own Martin Logan CLXs and I have a pair of older Monolith 2s.The Beveridge are really a unique speaker and there are some renown critics that still think they are the best sounding speaker ever made to this day..On some accounts,they may be correct.The model 3s at least,had one of the most brilliant executions I have ever witnessed.They were very accurate,they were a music system,not a speaker system that came at you.The music would fill the room and it would follow you everywhere and do it with great resolve.They had an acoustical lens which was much like a horn in a sense.The electrostatic panels were inside a compressed cabinet when all was said and done,and they would radiate out the front thru the acoustical lens at 180 degrees out of each speaker facing each other.

The woofers inside the cabinet that crossover at 200cps were gawd awful..It didn't matter tho as I was biamping into a stacked pair of Magnepan Tympani bass panels thru an ARC EC21 crossover.
Now,with all this illustrious chatter about how wonderful they are,you might ask,why did I sell them? The truth is,the panels just did not like the Michigan climate..I was tearing them down every two weeks and corona doping the panels..
I have also heard the 2SW2s and liked them very much but didn't find any.I would love to have another pair of Beveridge speakers but I have run out of room.

I thought I should add,the element behind the design of the Beveridge was not to build speakers,but rather it was to build the perfect music system where you heard the music and forgot it was coming out of a pair of loudspeakers..I think Harold Beveridge was able to that better than anyone to this day AFAIC.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 03/01/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.