Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Question for Banat

"Yes !, by Circlotron OPS PSU C`s are definitive in Parallel with load(speaker)! , but cathode(s) res. bypass C`s are definitive in Series with load(speaker) !"

I don't agree. Look at the schematic; the upper pair of tubes, the supply B1 and the loudspeaker are all connected in *series*. Likewise, there is a second series-connected loop comprising the lower pair of tubes, the supply B2 and the loudspeaker. One of those loops predominantly handles the upper half of the audio waveform, and the other loop predominantly handles the lower half of the waveform. In each case the corresponding power supply is in series.

(The discussion is slightly complicated by the fact that each set of tubes conducts for rather more than just its half-cycle of the waveform, but this is inessential to the key point.) If we consider the bulk of the audio waveform, away from the crossover region, either one set of tubes or the other is passing the overwhelming portion of the current. We then have a simple loop, comprising the speaker, the set of conducting tubes, and the associated power supply, all in series.

One wants, for example, that the two power supplies should have as small an impedance at audio frequencies as possible. If the capacitance of the filter capacitors was too small then the output impedance of the power supplies would rise significantly at the lower frequencies and there would be a loss of low-frequency audio output, exactly as would happen with any situation where a capacitor is in series with the speaker.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.